Thursday, January 31, 2013

Applesauce

When my 6-month old first started solids, the first fruit I tried feeding him was applesauce. After a few days, he was displaying some symptoms of sensitivity to this first fruit and it was suggested to me that it might be too acidic for his tender age. While I was pregnant, I had found a recipe for applesauce that calls for a few strips of lemon zest. While alone, lemons tend to be acidic, they are also thought to be alkalizing or neutralizing when we consume them. So in testing this theory, I am making my own applesauce for my son to try in hopes he won't be as sensitive to the acidity in apples. I will post those results in a few days. Even still, for anybody, this applesauce is deliciously sweet and the hint of cinnamon is perfect. Adding any more would be too much. Keep it nice and chunky right out of the pot or purée in small batches in the blender to make it nice and smooth. Refrigerate and use within a couple of days or freeze for up to several months.


Taste in Bloom Original Photo

Difficulty: Easy; Serves: 8; Prep time: 10 mins + 30 mins cook time (+5 mins if using blender)

Slightly adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Ingredients

  • 4 lbs apples, peeled, cored and sliced (I used Empire; Rome and Cortland work well too)
  • 1 1/2 strips of lemon zest, peeled from the lemon with a vegetable peeler or paring knife
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1 cup water

Preparation:

Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes or until apples are tender or easily pierced with a fork. When tender, mash apples a bit with the back of a fork. Remove lemon zest and cinnamon stick if you used it. Allow to cool a bit.

If you like your applesauce really smooth, purée in a blender in small batches for a few seconds each.

Edit: My son still showed sensitivity even to homemade applesauce, though it was a little less severe. I used this same recipe but changed the apples for D'anjou pears and simmered for about 45 minutes until they were very tender. He loves it!

No comments: