Thursday, November 7, 2013

Slow Cooker Pot Roast

As the weather gets cooler, my slow cooker gets more use. I've been hunting for great slow cooker recipes and I've certainly found a few. But you can't beat a tried and true one like a classic pot roast. This is another recipe which I've tried many variations until I felt the need to come up with my own. There are plenty of great pot roast recipes out there, even one that isn't for the slow cooker that I especially love from The Pioneer Woman. But on one of those days when you just want the slow cooker to do the work for you, give this simple slow cooker pot roast a try.

Taste in Bloom Original Photo
Difficulty: Easy; Serves: 6; Prep time: 10 minutes, Cook time: 8 1/2 hours

Taste in Bloom Original
Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 lbs roasting meat (I prefer chuck roast or brisket for this. I find eye roast turns out too tough).
  • 1 1/4 cup water or beef stock (I used, and prefer, water)
  • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp or more Italian seasoning or herbes de Provence
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp or more garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 3 russett potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, and diced into 1/2-inch chunks
  • 3 carrots, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch chunks, or a bag of baby carrots
  • 1/2 a bag or more of frozen peas

Preparation:

Place roasting meat in the bottom of a slow cooker with the water (or beef stock) and Worcestershire sauce. Season with Italian seasoning (or herbes de Provence), onion powder, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and pepper. Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 7 hours.

Prepare vegetables. Carefully remove the pot roast to a cutting board and put all of the vegetables into the slow cooker in the broth. Return the pot roast to the slow cooker. Cover and set the slow cooker on high and cook for an hour or slightly longer, until the vegetables are fork tender.


No comments: